The Dragon-fly emerges and other butterfly related news

August 24, 2011

I finished up my son's Dragon-fly mosaic today. He sketched it for me a few weeks ago and I converted it into a mosaic for the mural using stained glass.

Here is the original sketch:

© 2011 Eve O.

And here is the finished mosaic:

© 2011 Eve O.

The eye is made from a tiny piece of a dichroic glass cabochon that I cut to size. The wings aren't nearly as red-orange as they look here. I couldn't get the colors to ring true on my photo editing program!

© 2011 Eve O.

I'll be adding this "butterfly" to the wall the next time I'm up at the Calusa Nature Center...maybe this coming Friday or over the weekend.

I also squeezed in a little bit of work on the big alligator that will go underneath the main butterfly cloud. As I was working on it, I thought I was making decent progress but I can see from the photo below that I still have a lot of mosaicing to go!

Luckily the glass pieces are much larger than usual.

Still more work to do!

© 2011 Eve O.
In other butterfly related news...

I have been so busy with The Butterfly Project installation that I thought I was going to miss the local Zombicon deadline this year.

I've been exhibiting undead artwork at the Dark Art show that coincides with Fort Myers' Zombicon for the last 3 years and I was unhappy that I was going to break my streak. I just didn't think that I was going to have time to make the September 1st deadline.

And then it hit me...zombie butterflies!

Here's what resulted from that epiphany...

"Morph" undead butterfly necklace © 2011 Eve O.

"Meta-MORGUE-phosis" undead butterfly necklace © 2011 Eve O.

Also of note, artist Silva Hayes was so enamored with making butterflies that she made one for her own residence and installed it on the side of her house!

See...

© 2011 Silva Hayes
© 2011 Silva Hayes
It looks awesome!

I have to admit that I really love making butterflies too. If they start popping up all over town, you'll know where to come looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...