(4) Butterfly donations

July 22, 2011

Today I completed my fourth whimsical butterfly...and I use the term "butterfly" loosely.

I call this critter "The Aztec God of Winged Creatures". The small mosaic is about 4 inches across and is made mostly of iridescent glass accented with millefiori slices, dichroic cabs and some navy blue mirror glass.

  • Did you know that the Aztecs believed that Monarch butterflies were the spirits of fallen warriors dressed in battle colors?

Aztec God of Winged Creatures © Eve O.

Artist Susan Walden donated two butterflies made with stained glass, iridized glass, glass gems and Van Gogh glass.  The bottom butterfly, titled Joseph Fly, represents the Coat of Many Colors.


Flitter Fly © Susan Walden
Joseph Fly © Susan Walden

Artist Ilona Bryan's donation arrived from England. Her large butterfly (7" across x 9" tall) is made with ceramic tile, venetian glass tile and glass gems.


© Ilona Bryan


There are lots of photos floating around of the other butterfly donations that are destined to be included in the project so I suppose I'll be getting some more in the mail in the next few days.

I have two more unusual butterflies in the works too so stay posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...